Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yi Xuen's Wedding

Today was a very big day.  Our little Yi Xuen got married!!!! It's not that they marry off children over here but it's more for educational purposes only.  Most schools in the UK are affiliated with the Church of England so Religious Education is actually required.  I think this is great because they actually educate children about different religions, their practices and beliefs so they grow up understanding others than prejudicing them.  In Year 1 (kindergarten in the US) they do a mock wedding, but it feels pretty real.  They all get dressed up and do the ceremony in the parish church which is across the street from the school.  The reverend goes through the vows, they exchange rings and they sign the register.  Some of us are still trying to figure out how this is not a legal wedding and hopefully (hee hee) Yi Xuen doesn't have any trouble getting married later with records of her getting hitched at 6 years old.

So Addison, Harry and I got dressed up and joined in the fun.  I think we may have been the only people there who weren't parents of the kids who were in the class, but we definitely family of the bride.



Yi Xuen was such a beautiful bride and I got to help Min in making her veil so that was a lot of fun.




Look at all the parents taking pictures.  This so felt like the real thing.  How cute are they??!!!



Addison and Auntie Min at the reception enjoying fairy cakes, cookies, wedding cake and squash.




Addison had a special gift for Yi Xuen, a card that she drew of Yi Xuen with her wedding dress on, and a pound coin.


I'm so excited that in 20 years (give or take) I can get another picture just like this one at Yi Xuen's real wedding. Addison adores Yi Xuen and we love her so much and were so excited for her big day.



1 comment:

Amy said...

Absolutely precious!!! ;o)