Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sea Shipment Arrives...Move in Our Rental House!












Today is finally THE day...our sea crate is here and being delivered to our newest temporary home...yep, our 4th place to live in the past 2 months!!! We got up very early, packed up our vehicles and made our way from west Peoria to the "east side" and the small town of Metamora where our rental house is at. This was not only exciting to get our stuff but to finally be in a "house" that our stuff was going to be in within the next few hours. Another great thing is that Grandma Sally and Grandpa Mike were on their way out from Iowa to come help us get settled and unpack a bit.












Things were very chaotic since we are going to be packing everything back up in about 7 months when our new house gets done, so we needed to try to sort out what stays upstairs to get unpacked and what can just get shoved in the basement. I so wished I had xray vision to remember what was in each box, but there were certain things were unwrapped and immediately used. Our familiar purple hippo sandbox was a sight for sore eyes to the kids and they went to town filling her up with rocks and anything else they could find in their brand new place.












Addison was ecstatic to see her bike and helmet and made the guys stop and put it together for her as soon as it was unpacked. Oh...it so felt like Christmas, but really, really hot outside.












So unloading and unpacking is not so much fun for kids, but they can find about anything to keep them busy. At lunch time, Kevin took the kids to McD's and they happened to run into Grandma and Grandpa there as they got into town about that time. I stayed back to keep unpacking and directing the unloading crew. At one point I was the only one at the house and Beyonce came on the radio and I just jammed out and danced in place as I was sooooo happy to be in a house. I know life isn't about material things, but having familiar things around you in an unfamiliar place just makes life so much better.



















Our house is quite a bit smaller than the house we had in the UK so finding a home for everything is a bit tough, but yes that whole crate got unloaded and put somewhere. Crazy thing is that tomorrow all the stuff we couldn't bring along to England was going to be delivered tomorrow...I can't even remember what kind of stuff we have coming in that.












Making due with what we can find and use, we settle in for the evening with some of the most amazing pizza from Geo's Pizza here in Metamora. I have been pretty familiar with this town as when I worked for Evergreen I would often visit the FS plant north of town but I was getting very excited for this place to be my new home. It was sooo nice having Mike and Sally with us, as with all the chaos going on, it was nice to have family there to help you out for once. There have been so many things over the past few years that we've just had to sort out and do ourselves...it was just so nice to have them here.













Of course it's definitely great to have a former handyman, former house builder, former farmer come help get you sorted out in a rental house. While our little house is homey there were quite a few things that needed sorted before it could totally be liveable. Things from broken toilet lids, wonky cabinent doors, a front door that wouldn't seal, and a fridge that wouldn't stay cold, it was good to have someone with creative means to fix them around. I can see where Kevin gets his creative ways to fix things...I love how Mike taped up the front of the fridge vents and hooked the shop vac in the front, turned it on and then used the air compressor to loosen up the 5 years of other peoples dust and gunk out of the bottom of the fridge. I think after 3 trips to Menards in 3 days we should have most of the loose hinges sorted out but who knows!












One of the greatest finds in our storage shipment was the electric griddle. For the first time in 4 years we've been able to make more than 1 piece of French toast at one time and Kevin is in his element. This former restaurant griddle boys is finally having a great time!!!

No comments: