Monday, March 9, 2009

The Big Crick in Our 18 Month Journey

It was just 2 years ago Kevin and I committed to take on this overseas assignment two weeks after having our little Addison. We couldn't image in our wildest dreams the experiences we would have and the people we would meet over the past 18 months. Yes, we have made a lot of sacrifices and we thank everyone back home for loving and supporting us over all this time. It really took us a good year for this place to be "home" and our lives have now become normal...Big Ben in London, castles, tiny refridgerators, thatch roofs, the British accent, driving on the left side of the road...it's all normal now.

Okay, now that everything is normal and comfortable, a wrench has to get thrown in our worlds. For the past several months as the world wide economy has tanked, the effects are really hitting home and today I am really struggling. Several of my ISE friends have finished up their assignments and have headed home which was tough, but in my heart I knew that I would be able to hook back up with them when we moved back to Peoria. Today my life felt shattered when Min came over to share with me that they were moving back to Singapore this June or July. Okay, I knew this day was going to come but I really anticipated that it would be next summer. I have developed a very close sister-like relationship with Min truly since we live so close to each other and are going through the same type of experience. She and her family are a part of my and my family's daily lives and the thought of them not being a part of our "normal" life is devastating to think about. After lots of crying that first day I have calmed down and taken the attitude to make the most of each day we have with the Wong's and everyone else we have gotten to know here. Kevin said it best when he reminded me how blessed we are to have been such good friend's with people from half way around the world. He got me even more excited when he didn't completely shoot down the idea of planning a trip to Singapore next year to see them.

It is so hard to watch as other ISEs are being sent home early and to hear of friends who have had to take new jobs because their jobs have been cut. We sit and wonder if our day will be coming which really dampers getting excited about trying to make plans for trips and adventures. Kevin is working on a very important project that is a big focus for CAT right now and we are hoping that this allows us to stay on our assignment a bit longer. We do miss "home" and friends and family, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. We do know that God has a plan for us and we pray every night that we can accept whatever that plan is for us.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

That is too bad! I know that you have loved living so close to Min and that you rely on her and her friendship a lot. Just be happy that your memories with her and her family are happy ones and ones you will always cherish.