Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An English "Cookie" Exchange

Tonight I hosted a cookie exchange for some of my English friends and what a hoot!  I got the idea to host such an event after my friend Sarah insisted we take part in this American tradition after she heard about our ISE cookie exchange last year. What made this all so fun and interesting was that I had now idea what to expect...you see for each person I invited...none of them knew what a cookie exhange even was. And even after I explained it, they either got really excited or really nervous. They would tell me that most Christmas cookies and sweets are purchased at Marks and Spencers or other nice shops. I then went on to explain that it was very much tradition for at least my family to make 7-8 different types of Christmas cookies each year at the beginning of December. We would keep them all in tupperware containers out in the front porch where it stayed as cold as a freezer and the cookies would stay fresh for the next few weeks leading up to Christmas. I just wanted to share with them a fun tradition and help us all get into the Christmas spirit.

Well I made up my most favorite Peanut Butter Blossom cookies with real Brach's chocolate stars that my mom brought over from the States for me - thanks Mommy!!!! I set up the dining room table with pretty plates and platters for everyone to set out their creations and by the time everyone showed up and put out their cookies it was an amazing sight (pictures to come soon!!!) I had my friend Laurie (the semi-professional photographer) take pictures of all the cookies because someday I would like to make up a recipe book with all the things I have learned how to make while living in the UK and include loads of my own family recipes. Laurie is going to teach me how to take nice pictures of "food" so I can make it look nice, but tonight I let her work her magic.

To get the evening started out right we all got served up champagne with mango sorbet scooped on top - it was lovely!!! I got this great idea from my friend Amity who invited me to my very first cookie exchange a couple of years ago. The British ladies were so amazed at how creative American's were to drink such things. After the cookies were all set out I had everyone get up and introduce themselves and shared what kind of cookie they brought, why they selected that recipe, where they got the recipe and share any changes they made. Common responses were that they searched long and hard in their cookery books and online for "Christmasy" cookies and they often changed things up to "Americanize" the cookies by adding loads of icing and decorations. One friend explained that the English are very plain and make ordinary things and they don't go all out for holidays like the American's do...my mission is to change all this by exposing them to how much fun it can be to go all out!!!! Our next activity was lovely because I asked them all to share a favorite Christmas tradition. I heard heart felt stories of Christmas pasts with tales of grandmothers' gifts to those who would wait all the way until lunch time to open Christmas gifts. At the end we all grabbed up a few of each kind of cookie to take home and recipes to match.

It was a great evening and I have to thank Kevin for putting up with two very upset children upstairs all evening as I hosted my Christmasy event!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again. We really enjoyed it. Although it was quite stress for me initially as I never make any cookies before. But, it was fun. Looking forward to the next Cookies Exchange.
Also, is your recipe book for sale??