Friday, June 13, 2008

Prayers for Iowa

For those of you who know me well, know that I was raised an Eastern Iowa girl before I got transplanted to Illinois then the UK. If you haven't been to Eastern Iowa it is a beautiful place of quiet rolling hills with corn and soybean fields as far as the eye can see. We have a few bigger cities like Iowa City and Cedar Rapids that are great places to shop and experience "city life." But I really enjoyed growing up in the country away from the hustle and bustle. Back in 1993 we experienced some pretty bad flooding...a hundred year flood. I experienced the floods first hand as I had to drive home on water covered roads from my internship in a tiny stick shift pickup truck that I just learned how to drive the week before. Fifteen years later my home town and home state is experiencing a 500 year flood. The picture here is of downtown Cedar Rapids where my sister works and a place I have frequented a lot in my younger years.  Lots of snow from this winter and lots of heavy rains from recent storms are reeking havoc on the place I still call "home". Luckily most of my family live on higher grounds and are not being directly affected, but my sister wasn't able to get home from work the other day because the bridges were all overflowed with water.  My dad got to pick her up and bring her to their house.   Please keep the people of Iowa in your prayers.  

No comments: