Monday, January 25, 2010

Scottish Burns' Night at Loch Fyne

Tonight we celebrated the life of one of Scotland's most well known poets...yes, I have found that this country celebrates some pretty interesting things. I really don't know much at all about Mr. Burns' but other than his is one of only 3 poets ever to have a national holiday named after him.

In honor, of Mr. Burns' our friends, Simon and Sarah invited us to a traditional Scottish meal at Loch Fyne (a Scottish based seafood restaurant). Kevin and Simon started their meals with some haggis served with nippers and taties (which are potatoes and swede). This obviously wasn't traditional haggis as that is cooked in a sheep's stomach, no a days they cook it in a synthetic material. But we didn't look at what it was made up of until after they ate it...sheep heart, liver, sheep lungs, and more... The boys also had a glass of some Scottish whiskey which I ended up taking the smallest sip and thought I inhaled gasoline.

In spite of being a week into our diet, I did splurge and get a onion and goat cheese tart, a sirloin steak and this yummy cream dessert with biscuits plus 1/4 of Kevin's sticky toffee pudding!!!! It was definitely a wonderful evening with friends and that was most important!


No comments: