
I have known for some time now that Kathryn Clayton, my neighbor Simon's daughter, has been wanting to go into the culinary arts when she finishes school. Her passion and mine for baking and cooking gave us the crazy idea to collaborate and make some things together. So while she was on Easter holiday break I thought it would be fun for us to prepare a special lunch.
I had a favorite squash soup recipe and she picked out a tasty looking sandwich recipe from my cookbook of "Sandwiches" of course...thanks Mom for this one!!! I left Kathryn in charge of picking out the puddings (desserts) and she picked some good ones. We had to do some improvising on a few things but all in all everything turned out lovely.

Tesco didn't have any French bread so I had to get what they called a Bloomer loaf...which was a really tall loaf for slicing it the way we did but you could load up a lot of goodies inside the sandwich and that was perfect...you had to get a little creative on how to eat it but it was jolly fun.

Kathryn picked out a London cheesecake that we decorated with raspberries and chocolate sauce and then a chocolate meringue tort. It's kind of like three small chocolate pavlovas with chocolate pudding between the layers and topped off with pistachio nuts. We obviously didn't perfect the meringue since they crumbled horribly but once you got the other bits on it, it started to get prettier. It tasted heavenly though. We served our lunch with freshly squeeze strawberry lemonade.

In the end we had a great time cooking together. She taught me a few techniques - like folding in by moving the spatula in a figure 8 motion and I showed her a few fun tools that I had to make things easier in the kitchen.
I can't wait to do it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment