Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Graduating to the Big Girl Bed

Friday night was Addison's first night to sleep in her new room in her big girl bed.  For the past several weeks we've been trying to play in our new room to get used to it.  Friday afternoon after Addison's nap I attempted to make her bed feel like the crib, so took the bumper and wrapped it around three sides, laid her monkey blanket down on the mattress sheet, and brought in her CD player with her lullaby music.  That night we laid pillows down on the side of the bed and I laid on the floor next to her until she fell asleep.  She woke up a few times in the night and cried, but we popped her back in bed and laid with her until she fell back asleep.  Saturday afternoon she was ornry I did threaten a few times that if she didn't lay back down and close her eyes that she would have to go back in her crib...she got really upset about that. One time I actually put her back in her crib and she wanted right back out, so at least I know now that she would prefer her bed. Saturday night after the fireworks she showed some signs that she wasn't feeling well.  By Sunday she had a barking cough and was feverish, so nap times and bed time were a bit little challenging to say the least.   On Monday I got her into the GP and he diagnosed her with a severe ear infection and a cold.  Needless to say, it has taken much more time and energy to keep our going to bed ritual on task with her not feeling well at all.  Sometimes in the middle of the night now she may roll out of bed and fuss a bit or she'll hop out on her own and come pattering into our room.  It's kind of scary now that she can do that because being a mom I hear my children breath in my sleep and the new sounds freak me out.  With the not-so-restful nights and all the hundreds of books I've been reading to get her to fall asleep, I now feel the cold bug settling in and my throat hurts pretty bad.  Kevin has been a trooper helping out though.  He did ask me when she will be old enough to just send up to bed and have her fall asleep on her own...I just shrugged my shoulders, but in my heart knew it was going to be a long time before that ever happens.  It will be a few weeks before we move Harrison into his new room.  We are waiting until he starts sleeping though the night more...the trick is that we need to get him to take a bottle to "top-him-up" just before he goes to bed.  He's really not liking bottles or pacifiers right now so my future freedom for the next few months looks bleak.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

That is funny about Kevin wondering when you can just send her up to bed...not for a long time. My kids still like Kyle to go up there with them to say prayers, talk, etc.. so depending on what type of parents you are it might never end. Good luck! This is why my kids sleep with us for so long. BEDTIME IS WORK!!