Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I'm Losssst!!!

Today we were finally going to be moving into our house...a long awaited day, but first we needed to head up to Lincoln to pick up our car (finally). It rained pretty much all morning and it must have been an omen that this day was going to be turned upside down. This was my first solo flight in driving a car on the other side of the road and the hour ride home wasn't too bad other than Kevin had gotten pretty frustrated with the insurance company trying to get someone to pull up the right quote we were given. I lead the way with the Tom Tom in the rental car and Kevin drove the new Passat. As we got near Peterborough, I heard "Jane" (our Tom Tom's alter ego) tell me to exit and after that the powers of the universe cast down a spell on "Jane" and she disappeared. With no navigation system, I instantly started to freak out. Since it is illegal to talk on your cell phone without hands free, I pulled off on the exit and tried find a place to pull over so that I could have Kevin lead the way. I instinctly pulled through a round about and jetted off into a petro station, but watched for Kevin, and I watched and watched and no sign of him. I was in so much trouble now. I finally called Kevin and he was cut off on the round about and lost me and then he got horribly lost trying to find me. By now we were 10 minutes from having to be at the house so I looked for signs pointing to city centre. I knew how to get to Glinton if I could make it to city centre so I drove and drove with nothing looking familiar and then I crested a hill and finally saw the Queensgate Mall...I knew where I was! So I jetted north and finally made it to the house. They were unloading the rental furniture and Peter was there checking things out and then we had to rush back into our apartment to get our stuff packed up. We stuffed our seven suitcases, our food, and our child and headed back to our house...our home. We ended up having to do a hard reset on the Tom Tom but it was one of the worst and best days we've had so far.

No comments: